Getting yourself ready for colder weather is a snap with this checklist.
Save frustration by breaking it into simple jobs you can tackle over a few weekends. Divide the jobs among the family – assign each person a room to inspect and report back on whether it’s ready for colder weather.
The Checklist You Need to Prepare for Colder Weather:
Prep the plumbing
- Drain the water from outdoor faucets and garden hoses, and store them inside
- Inspect pipes to avoid an unfortunate burst. Consider heat tape to keep prone pipes warm during extremely cold weather.
Heat Things Up
- Ensure your fireplace is ready for cozy evenings by a crackling fire
- Inspect the chimney and have it cleaned by a professional before the first frost
- Have a professional perform routine maintenance on your heating systems, including vacuuming vents and heating components, and changing your furnace filter
- For energy savings, install a programmable thermostat that keeps your home cooler when you are asleep or away from home
Seal the Leaks
- Stop drafts by installing storm doors and windows
- Replace weather-stripping to doors, windows, pipes or ducts
- Caulk gaps in doors, windows, pipes or ducts
- Replace worn doorstops
Greater Philadelphia’s HVAC Experts: Self Heating & Cooling
Contact Self HC today to schedule your annual tune-up, repair your heating or cooling system, or install a new programmable thermostat to keep your family comfortable, carefree and saving energy this winter!